By walterg | May 26, 2014
It’s a week to go until IASSIST 2014 begins! (If you haven’t registered yet, better get to it!) Here are a few things you might like to know before you get here:
If you haven’t looked at them yet, please peruse the “How to get here” and “Local information” pages on the conference website
under ‘Visitors’ on the top menu (where you can find a map-based guide to Toronto attractions);
- “How to get here” lists ways to get to the downtown core from the airport;
- “Local information” has links to maps, information on how to get around Toronto, links to weather information from Environment Canada, plus links to guides to restaurants and drinking establishments in and around town.
- If you’re a baseball fan, the Toronto Blue Jays are playing home games on June 1, 6, and 7; see the June schedule for details.
- if, at any point, you want to pick up some groceries, there’s a huge grocery store – right next to the Mattamy Centre (site of the Tuesday reception) – known as Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens; check out the ‘Wall of Cheese”!
- if your taste runs to reading, there’s an Indigo store (Canada’s major bookstore chain) about 10 min from the conference hotel by foot, on Yonge St.
As far as food and drink go, the variety you’ll find in the city, even restricted to the downtown area, is nothing short of remarkable; there’s even a multicultural food court just down the street from the conference venue. Later this week we’ll be adding to the above links a personal guide to eating and drinking establishments prepared by one of our volunteers.
Your Local Arrangements Committee and volunteers will do our best to ensure you have a pleasant and productive stay in Toronto. Please let us now if you have any specific questions. We look forward to greeting you next week for IASSIST 2014!