Posted to IASSIST on: 2023-02-17
Employer: Yale University
Employer URL: https://yale.edu/
Librarian for Political Science and Statistics & Data Science
Yale University Library (YUL) seeks user-centered, collaborative, and creative applicants for the position of Librarian for Political Science and Statistics & Data Science. This position will join an expanding team of ten professionals, based out of Marx Science and Social Science Library, providing interdisciplinary teaching and research support across campus. Reporting to Marx Library’s Director of Research Support and Outreach Programs, the Librarian will be assigned a rank of Librarian 2 or 3. Librarian ranking information can be found at: http://bit.ly/YULRanksPromotions
The Librarian for Political Science and Statistics & Data Science will be primarily responsible for providing teaching and research support for: Students, faculty, and staff of the Department of Political Science; Students, faculty, and staff of the Department of Statistics and Data Science; Centers, institutes, and programs related to each of these departments, such as the Institution for Social and Policy Studies (ISPS) and the Institute for Foundations of Data Science (FDS).
Yale University Library serves a diverse staff, campus, local, and global community and is deeply committed to advancing its goals for equity, inclusion, and accessibility. This commitment is reflected in our mission, strategic directions, staff values, initiatives, and scholarly activity. The Library seeks to hire and retain candidates whose philosophies align with these commitments and who have demonstrated success with supporting diversity and inclusion through their work, service, research, and/or teaching.
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week, currently hybrid, with in-person required 4 days a week during the academic year and in-person 3 days a week during breaks and summer). Depending on start date, new librarians will work in-person 4 days a week for the first 1-2 months of employment and then will transition to the hybrid schedule.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school. In selected instances, a post-graduate degree in a related discipline may be required or substituted for a master’s degree in library science.
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
- Demonstrated record of designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
- Experience working collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
Qualifications for Librarian for Political Science and Statistics & Data Science:
- Minimum of two years professional experience for consideration of assignment at Librarian 2. Minimum of five years professional experience for consideration of assignment at Librarian 3.
- Demonstrated ability to provide user-centered services, preferably in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, search, and instruct researchers in the use of social science resources, including government and policy information.
- Demonstrated ability using quantitative data analysis, data visualization, or geographic information system (GIS) resources and tools to support interdisciplinary research.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Experience with collection development in an academic environment.
Salary range: $66,000 - $85,000
About Yale University and New Haven, CT:
Founded in 1701, Yale University is a research-intensive, private university with an enrollment of 6,500 undergraduates and 8,000 graduate/professional students. Life at Yale includes aspects of the arts, athletics, health and wellness, as well as initiatives related to Belonging at Yale, various Affinity Groups, and the Office of New Haven Affairs.
Yale University Library (YUL) provides outstanding support for teaching, learning, and research for Yale and the global community. YUL comprises nearly 15 million volumes (in all media), employs over 500 staff, and encompasses 15 libraries; in FY2022, the total budget was $145 million. The hire of Risë Nelson as Yale University Library’s inaugural Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and ongoing work of the Advisory Committee on Library Staff Diversity and Inclusion furthers our commitment to areas such as recruitment and retention, inclusive management training, and revisions to collection development policies and reparative archival description. We actively seek out and participate in partnerships across the University, including with Yale’s Cultural Centers and the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning.
New Haven has been home to Yale University for nearly three centuries. As a center for business and a mecca for the arts, New Haven is recognized as a city of innovation, culture and prosperity. Approximately 20 square miles with nearly 130,000 residents and conveniently located between Boston and New York, a recent article in the New York Times described New Haven as having “…the cuisine and culture of a major metropolis, but the laid-back vibe of a smaller place.”
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
New Haven, CT
More info/apply URL: https://bit.ly/YalesCareers-79153BR
Archived on: 2023-03-30