Posted to IASSIST on: 2022-12-13
Employer: Data-PASS (via Syracuse University grant)
Employer URL: https://www.data-pass.org/
Journal Editors Discussion Interface (JEDI) Community Manager
This is a great part-time consulting opportunity for anyone passionate about open science. JEDI is convened by Data-PASS, an association of the leading social science data repositories in the US. The position does require US work permit.
The Journal Editors Discussion Interface (JEDI) is an online community of social science journal editors and data professionals, encouraging and facilitating continuous communication and learning.
Priya Silverstein, JEDI’s founding community manager, has accepted a multi-year postdoc at the Psychological Science Accelerator, and will be taking up that position in 2023. Accordingly, QDR is seeking expressions of interest for a consultant’s position, to take on the community manager role at JEDI.
The “Journal Editors’ Discussion Interface” (JEDI) combines features of an online forum and a traditional email listserv, encouraging and facilitating communication and learning among a broad range of editors of social science journals. While encompassing a wide range of editorial interests and issues, JEDI’s core focus is on the aspects of the editorial process that concern data and code and their management, citation, and accessibility; additional aspects of research transparency; and reproducibility, replication, and verification. The goal is to augment the readiness of the publishing community across academic disciplines to generate and adopt consensual best practices for capitalizing on developments in the socio-technical infrastructure supporting open science. Since its inception in 2021, JEDI has grown into a vibrant online community with almost 500 members.
Consultant Position: The JEDI Community Manager has the opportunity to work as part of a dynamic team of researchers and technologists at several of the world’s leading data repositories while playing an active role in contributing to the promulgation and adoption of open science practices in research.
Employment Period: February 2023-August 2024 (with possibility for extension). Hours: 20 hours/week consultancy
Remuneration: Hourly rate between $35 and $40, commensurate with experience Location: Remote
Description: The JEDI Community Manager will assist the project PI, co-PIs, and software developer with community logistics, outreach, engagement, documentation, and governance.
- Develop and maintain the project’s road map, with milestones and key activities required for the successful execution of the project
- Work closely with developers, stakeholders, and community members to assist with documenting user stories, technical specifications, and user guides
- Contribute to the development of listserv policies and rules, and to the design of the user interface
- Lead outreach efforts to promote JEDI and to recruit a broad, diverse, and inclusive participant base; onboard new community members and contributors
- Contribute to envisioning, organizing, preparing materials for, conducting, evaluating, and preparing reports from activities (e.g., focus groups) aimed at gaining input on the development of the JEDI platform
- Assist with and coordinate the moderation of listserv discussion, engaging with contributors or those interested in contributing and answering questions
- Assist in organizing workshops and webinars for the community, and in organizing and managing small working groups addressing specific goals and tasks
- Contribute to the clear articulation and achievement of JEDI’s mission, including contributing to grant writing
- Undergraduate degree in a social science or a related field
- Interest in promoting, and knowledge of, open science
- Experience building, managing, and working with online communities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and empathy, valuing diversity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working as part of a small team
- Experience juggling multiple complex tasks simultaneously
- Postgraduate degree in a social science (candidate or completed)
- Familiarity with academic publishing
We would welcome interest from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our team and reflect the diversity of the research communities with which we interact and whom we serve.
More info/apply URL: https://qdr.syr.edu/drupal_data/public/JEDI_Community%20Manager_Job%20Description_2022.pdf
Archived on: 2022-12-22