Posted to IASSIST on: 2020-09-17
Employer: Utah State University
Employer URL: https://www.usu.edu
Assistant Librarian (Research Data Librarian)
USU Libraries seeks a Research Data Librarian to lead its successful nationally recognized Research Data Management Service (RDMS). The successful candidate will oversee the continued implementation of the USU Libraries and Research Office partnership that assists researchers with meeting compliance with the terms of data management and publication deposit for federally funded research awards. The Research Data Librarian partners closely with the Office of Research to monitor faculty needs in order to develop and offer services supporting research data and federal funder requirements. Additionally, in consultation with University stakeholders, the Research Data Librarian assesses the continually changing needs of all faculty and students regarding research data management and develops and delivers instruction and training. The position works collaboratively with the USU Libraries’ Cataloging and Metadata Services (CMS), Digital Initiatives (DI), and Learning and Engagement Services (LES) units.
The Research Data Librarian draws on a broad knowledge of research data management and stewardship to monitor and creatively respond to emerging researcher needs. Clear and effective communication, the ability to work collaboratively with others, and familiarity managing change enable the Research Data Librarian to succeed in this rapidly evolving, future-oriented field. We seek candidates who have the capacity to thrive in an ambiguous, forward-thinking environment.
The Research Data Librarian supervises one staff member and one or more students, this position reports to the Associate Dean for Special Collections, Digital, and Cataloging. The position is a 12-month, tenure track faculty appointment with rank as Assistant Librarian. The Library is dedicated to the success of the candidate by offering generous professional development funding to acquire further training and develop the necessary skills and knowledge to foster success.
Review of applications will begin on October 19, 2020, and the position will remain open until filled. Estimated start date for this position is January 1, 2021.
The Library is dedicated to promoting an environment of diversity and excellence throughout the institution and welcomes candidates committed to fostering diverse and inclusive environments.
- Assisting researchers in meeting data management and sharing requirements of funders and publishers
- Maintaining relationships with the Office of Research and building relationships with other university stakeholders
- Educating members of the campus community about data management practices and theory, consulting with individuals and teams, teaching concepts and skills, and performing outreach in order to position the library as a collaborator in managing research data
- Supporting preparation and deposit of datasets in repositories, including DigitalCommons@USU, the institutional repository of Utah State University
- Promoting the value of responsible data practices and reproducibility, emphasizing foundational considerations of privacy, ethics, attribution, and documentation when working with data
- Maintaining expertise in developments in funding agency requirements as well as new data management tools and technologies
- Working collaboratively in an academic environment to provide user-centered data services
- Assessing current services and planning, implementing and assessing new services that are developed
- Engaging in research and professional service
- MLIS from an ALA Accredited institution
- Working knowledge of the data management practices and requirements of researchers and external funding bodies (e.g. NSF, NIH, etc.)
- Knowledge of the research data life cycle
- Familiarity with a digital repository platform
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats used in research (e.g. Dublin Core, DDI, DOI, ORCiD)
- Familiarity with the rich variety of physical and digital types commonly found in an academic research institution.
- Evidence of a successful ability to manage and respond effectively to changing needs and priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, including oral and written and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and initiate needs-based projects with little guidance
- Demonstrated ability to carry out complex long-term and short-term project-based work with little guidance
- Ability to organize project-based information and data
- Ability to meet the university’s requirements for promotion and tenure, including maintaining excellence in librarianship, developing a record of scholarship, and participating in university and professional service.
- Working knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues
- Academic background in the sciences or social sciences
- Research data management training or work experience
- Experience working with datasets, including data management, curation, and retrieval
- Experience creating and evaluating data management plans
- Knowledge of data science tools (e.g. Jupyter Notebook, GitHub) and research data management resources
- Experience with data preservation and curation
- Experience in successfully managing technology, staff, and teams
- Experience with project management and assessment
- Experience developing and delivering instructional content and consultations in an academic environment
Salary is a minimum of $48,000 plus excellent benefits. Utah State University offers a competitive benefits package, to include medical and dental with a 14.2% retirement contribution by the University, and 22 days/year vacation. The Library provides generous support for professional development and travel.
More info/apply URL: not available
Archived on: 2021-02-05