Posted to IASSIST on: 2019-11-07
Employer: University of Michigan, ICPSR
Employer URL: https://www.umich.edu/
A unit of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan, the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is an international membership organization, with over 700 institutions from around the world, providing access to empirical social science data for research and teaching. The atmosphere is collegial with a work environment that fosters communication and networking, incorporates a diverse staff with varying skills and experiences and offers family-friendly flexibility with work hours.
We are family-friendly, offering flexible work hours, and we have a diverse staff that enriches the workplace with their experience. The atmosphere is collegial with a work environment that fosters communication and networking, incorporates a diverse staff with varying skills and experiences, and offers flexibility with work hours. Job Summary
The core charge of a Data Curator is to gain a functional understanding of research studies using the data and documentation deposited and convey that understanding to secondary researchers through the creation of summary descriptions, metadata and other study documents. The Data Curator reports to the Data Curation Supervisor. Responsibilities*
Specific responsibilities for this entry-level position involve:
Prepare social science research data and related materials for permanent archiving and sharing by:
- Reviewing data for issues related to respondent confidentiality
- Using SPSS, SAS or Stata to review, clean, recode, and verify research data
- Compiling and editing research documentation
- Structuring data and documentation files into ICPSR archival products for release and cataloging through the ICPSR Web site
- Writing study-level metadata descriptions
- Preparing data and documentation for use with online data analysis tools
- Working with team members and conducting peer work reviews
- Communicating with ICPSR staff and external partners
- Communicating with ICPSR staff in other units, data producers, and depositors to resolve issues of incompleteness
- Communicating project status and discussing project priorities with supervisor
- Answering data users’ questions about the data collections as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in social science or a related field
- Knowledge of social science research methods and survey design
- Experience in data management including cleaning, recoding, merging or subsetting data, and performing descriptive statistical procedures
- Experience with any of the following programs: SAS, SPSS (PSPP), Stata, R, SQL, Excel (for data management, i.e., can perform complex functions, can write advanced macros, etc.)
- Experience reading and summarizing technical documents
- Experience organizing and prioritizing assignments, and applying oral and written instructions and procedures Additional Information
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, days.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself, and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include: generous time off; a retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting; many choices for comprehensive health insurance; life insurance; and long-term disability coverage; and flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses.
The Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
More info/apply URL: https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/179603/data_curator
Archived on: 2021-02-06