Posted to IASSIST on: 2019-09-11
Employer: University of New Mexico, Main Campus (Albuquerque)
Employer URL: https://www.unm.edu/
The University of New Mexico College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences (CUL&LS) seeks a collaborative, service-oriented, and innovative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Librarian to support a dynamic library system with a strong outreach and instruction program. This is a full-time, 12-month tenure track faculty position. The desired start date is Spring 2020. The annual salary is negotiable based on qualifications and includes full benefits.
As part of Learning & Outreach Services in the University Libraries, the STEM Librarian will:
- Serve as one of the Libraries' STEM subject specialists, focusing on outreach, instruction, research assistance, and collection management for Engineering, Physical Sciences, and Mathematics;
- Proactively build relationships and partnerships with faculty, staff, and students in undergraduate and graduate STEM programs;
- Work independently and collaboratively with colleagues to design, implement, and assess library instructional services, including face-to-face, hybrid, and online learning opportunities, instruction sessions and workshops, and other approaches with specific attention to the methodologies used by STEM researchers;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with UL&LS colleagues, employing communication, organizational, analytic, and problem-solving skills;
- Work with campus partners and library colleagues to design, implement, and assess library services and activities;
- In collaboration with other units, provide support for students and researchers in the STEM fields in areas of data management, scholarly communication, etc.;
- Work to meet librarianship & teaching, scholarship, and service requirements for promotion and tenure as detailed in the UNM Faculty Handbook (https://handbook.unm.edu/) and College (CUL&LS) Guidelines (Available upon request);
- Participate in faculty governance as detailed in the UNM Faculty Handbook.
- An earned master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library/information sciences program or equivalent OR a terminal degree in a STEM field by the start date;
- Two or more years of experience supporting research or learning in a library, research, and/or teaching environment.
Preferred (Desired) Qualifications:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a STEM field;
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of STEM-related research methods and strategies;
- Experience providing library services (reference, research consultations, outreach, instruction, and/or collection management) in a STEM context;
- Experience or demonstrated interest in conducting outreach and engagement efforts with students, faculty, and campus collaborators to support research and instructional endeavors;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with information literacy concepts and trends (e.g., the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy) through face-to-face and/or online instruction;
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of best practices in managing and evaluating subject-specific collections;
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or an Indigenous language of the Southwestern U.S.;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as well as a strong service orientation;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
Archived on: 2020-01-08