Posted to IASSIST on: 2019-06-13
Employer: Harvard University
Employer URL: https://www.harvard.edu/
The Harvard Library Research Data Management Program connects members of the Harvard community to services and resources that span the research data lifecycle, to help ensure that Harvard’s multi-disciplinary research data is findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable (FAIR).
Reporting to the Harvard Library Research Data Management Program Manager, the Data Services Librarian will work with partners and stakeholder within the Harvard Library, and across the university, to provide data curation services, training, and expertise to members of the Harvard community.
The Data Services Librarian will also advance the program’s mission and objectives by assessing and improving existing program services and resources; helping to develop new services and resources to benefit the Harvard community; performing data services training and outreach; building and sustaining relationships with partners across the research data lifecycle; and participating in relevant library-wide and Harvard-wide committees, working groups, projects, and events.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of this highly collaborative program team, the Data Services Librarian will:
- Partner with Harvard Library departments and the Institute of Quantitative Social Sciences (IQSS) to establish and deliver scalable Dataverse repository data curation services to support data sharing, reuse, collections development, and stewardship. Specific duties will include providing data curation consultation services to members of the Harvard community; designing and implementing data organization frameworks within Dataverse; ingesting and applying metadata to data within Dataverse; and providing ongoing maintenance and support for curated datasets;
- Participate in Harvard Library and university project, working groups, and cross-organizational teams involved in issues pertaining to research data management and data curation;
- Form and maintain strong, productive relationships with stakeholders across Harvard’s research data management landscape to accomplish complex strategic and operational objectives;
- Collaborate with members of the Harvard Library Learning Initiative to design and deliver data services training to members of the Library community;
- Contribute substantively to program operations, including updating program resources, such as websites and wikis; contributing to regular program and project reports; developing and documenting workflows and procedures; and managing program-related projects, working groups, and teams;
- Participate in other activities, as required, to support the mission and objectives of the Harvard Library Research Data Management Program.
Please note: this is a fully-benefitted term appointment with an end date of three years from the date of hire.
- Masters degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education or an advanced degree in a related field;
- Minimum two years of experience with the research data lifecycle, data curation, and FAIR data principles;
- Minimum two years of experience in project management
- Data curation experience involving a data repository, such as Dataverse;
- Data curation experience involving sensitive data and data de-identification;
- Experience organizing and documenting data;
- Demonstrated ability to create and use programs, scripts, and other tools, such as Open Refine, to extract and manipulate data from a variety of sources, including web services and APIs;
- Experience collaborating and communicating with faculty and researchers;
- Ability to navigate and thrive in a complex organizational environment;
- Ability to learn new technological tools, applications, and techniques continuously;
- Ability to manage workload, priorities and deadlines and achieve timeline goals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation or teaching skills.
Archived on: 2020-01-07