Posted to IASSIST on: 2019-06-03
Employer: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
Employer URL: https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/
A unit of ISR at the University of Michigan, the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is an international membership organization, with over 700 institutions from around the world, providing access to empirical socialscience data for research and teaching. The atmosphere is collegial with a work environment that fosters communication and networking, incorporates a diverse staff with varying skills and experiences and offers family-friendly flexibility with work hours.The core charge of a research technician is to gain a functional understanding of research studies using the data and documentation deposited to the archive and convey that understanding to secondary researchers through the creation of summary descriptions, metadata and other study documents.Responsibilities
- Prepare social science research data and related materials for permanent archiving and dissemination by:
- Reviewing data for issues related to respondent confidentiality;
- Communicating with data producers and depositors to resolve issues of incompleteness;
- Using SPSS, SAS, and/or Stata to review, clean, recode, and verify research data;
- Compiling and editing research documentation;
- Structuring data and documentation files into ICPSR archival products for release and cataloging via the ICPSR Web site;
- Writing study-level metadata descriptions;
- Preparing data and documentation for use with online data analysis tools.
- Work with team members and conduct peer work reviews, as well as work with ICPSR staff in different units of the organization, as needed.
- Answer data users' questions about the data collections.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science or a related field;
- Knowledge of social science research methods and survey design;
- Experience in data management including but not limited to cleaning, recoding, merging, and/or subsetting data, and performing descriptive statistical procedures;
- Experience with any of the following programs: SAS, SPSS (PSPP), Stata, R, SQL, Excel;
- Excellent written communication skills including the ability to read and summarize technical documents;
- Demonstrated capacity to organize and prioritize assignments, effectively apply oral and written instructions and procedures, and execute tasks with minimal supervision.
Archived on: 2020-01-07