Posted to IASSIST on: 2018-10-02
Employer: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries
Employer URL: https://library.unc.edu/
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries invites applications for the position of Data Analysis Librarian in the Digital Research Services department.
The Data Analysis Librarian will further the goal of the University Libraries to support scholars during each stage of the research life cycle. The successful applicant will provide data-related services to support research using quantitative methods. Services will focus on assisting a diverse audience of scholars with collection or creation, processing, and analysis of data. The Data Analysis Librarian will refer or work with others in the Library and with Library partners to support visualization, preservation, access, and reuse of data.
The Data Analysis Librarian will provide research support and introduce cutting-edge data analysis tools and methodologies to users of the Davis Library Research Hub, where technology experts work as a team to support scholars with research and teaching. Research Hub staff members provide an inclusive, respectful, and responsive service point, work collaboratively to meet exciting research challenges, support learning communities, and introduce and facilitate the use of innovative technologies through consultation and instruction. We are seeking a creative and analytical individual who enjoys variety in their work, thrives on working with others to solve challenging data-related problems, and is committed to lifelong teaching and learning of technical skills.
The Data Analysis Librarian:
- Uses advanced skills with data cleaning/wrangling/normalization, regular expressions, web scraping, and APIs to support and collaborate with researchers on data-related research.
- Works collaboratively with others in the Library and with Library partners such as the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science to meet scholars’ needs at each stage of the research data lifecycle.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends new and emerging research tools and methods for the Libraries and UNC research community.
- Works consistently to enhance technical skills and develop proficiency with new data analysis tools and techniques.
- Develops services in response to needs of diverse populations served, current trends, campus needs, and Library priorities.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or related advanced degree.
- Coursework in statistics, and knowledge of statistical methods.
- Strong customer service orientation and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated advanced data skills, including data cleaning/wrangling/normalization, using regular expressions, and web scraping.
- Demonstrated experience with data analysis tools such as R, STATA, SPSS, and SAS.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language (such as Python, Java, or R).
- Demonstrated aptitude for quickly learning new tools and technologies.
- Experience working effectively with a team to plan and complete projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations as well as demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Advanced degree in statistics.
- Experience providing data-related services in a library or research setting.
- Experience teaching technology, either one-on-one or in a classroom setting.
- Proficiency using tools and programming libraries to support text analysis.
- Geospatial technology skills.
- Data visualization skills.
Archived on: 2018-11-05