Posted to IASSIST on: 2018-09-17
Employer: University of Houston Libraries
Employer URL: https://libraries.uh.edu/
The University of Houston is committed to advancing its research priorities and transforming ideas into innovations. We seek a dynamic leader to build library research data management services that are responsive to these emerging research needs.
The Research Data Management Librarian will lead the planning, implementation, and assessment of research data management services. Such services may include instruction, consultations, and partnerships with faculty and researchers on data management plans, data management tools and strategies, and metadata standards. Reporting to the Head of Liaison Services within the University Libraries, this position is part of the Liaison Services Department and will collaborate with subject librarians to integrate data management best practices across disciplines, in research labs, and research centers. This position also will collaborate with the Data Services Librarian to expand and promote research support and data-related services across campus. An important component of this responsibility will be staying up to date on funding agencies’ data management policies and contributing to the ongoing training of library staff on research data management fundamentals and services.
The Research Data Management Librarian also will collaborate with colleagues in the Digital Research Services department to promote research data sharing and curation services related to data repositories. Additionally, there are opportunities to collaborate with colleagues in Metadata and Digitization Services on promoting best practices for accessibility, archiving, assessment, attribution, and resource sharing as it relates to the grant process. Based on the emerging needs and collaborative nature of this position, the incumbent will have opportunities to develop expertise in these areas.
The Research Data Management librarian is a librarian position. Librarians hold academic rank pursuant to the University of Houston Librarians’ Bylaws. They are expected to develop a record of service, scholarship, and professional development. The UH Libraries support the ongoing professional development of librarians, and our goal is to recruit librarians committed to continuous learning.
- American Library Association (ALA)-accredited Master’s degree, or an advanced degree with demonstrated experience in data management and/or data curation
- Knowledge of the research data lifecycle and research processes
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively with stakeholders to build programs and initiatives
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Experience with data management components of the grant process
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats used in research (e.g. Dublin Core, DDI, ORCID, DOI)
- Awareness of issues related to digital preservation
- Familiar with aspects of copyright and licensing relating to the deposit, discoverability, sharing and reuse of research data
- Familiar with institutional or subject based data repository systems and tools
- Strong teaching and presentation skills
Archived on: 2018-11-05