Posted to IASSIST on: 2018-08-24
Employer: University of Notre Dame
Employer URL: https://www.nd.edu/
The Hesburgh Libraries at the University of Notre Dame is seeking an outgoing, creative, and motivated individual to serve as our Political Science Librarian. This position serves as a liaison to faculty and students in the growing Department of Political Science and the newly established Keough School of Global Affairs and has a particular emphasis on providing support for the selection, use, and lifecycle management of quantitative and qualitative political data. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic group of librarians at a time of rapid change and development for the libraries and for research at Notre Dame.
The Political Science Librarian serves as the subject librarian for faculty, students, and researchers in the areas of political science, government information, and global affairs. She or he will work closely with scholars to ensure that the University has the collections, resources, and services needed for successful research and learning. In consultation with the relevant teaching and research faculty and in collaboration with other subject librarians and the Program Director for Collection Strategies and Subject Services, this position is responsible for selecting content in all formats related to the fields of political science, political theory, and global affairs. This position also provides customized, course-integrated instruction and in-depth subject-related research consultations that will include instruction in the use of statistical software and the location and use of datasets and statistics. The Political Science Librarian will create and maintain web guides to support the discovery and use of information related to political science and global affairs and will work collaboratively with other librarians and with the Library’s Center for Digital Scholarship to deliver specialized library services, such as data management planning and data preservation.
As a member of the Library Faculty, the Political Science Librarian will be expected to engage in scholarship and professional activities in the library profession and also participate in Notre Dame campus and Hesburgh Libraries committees and teams.
- A Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school or equivalent degree, or an advanced degree in a field related to political science or global affairs.
- A strong background in political science, global affairs, or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience with statistical software packages such as SAS, SPSS, Stata, or R.
- Experience locating and using local, state, national, and international government information and data from the United States, the United Nations, non-governmental organizations, or other relevant agencies or organizations.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the desire to work collaboratively with a diverse population.
- Experience creating and executing data management plans for grant writers.
- Experience with geographic information system (GIS) resources.
- Experience with strategic selection of academic materials in a research library setting.
- Experience with or interest in learning about Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) outreach, public access, support services, and collection development.
- An interest in, or knowledge of issues related to scholarly communications, such as open access, copyright, fair use, or author’s rights.
- An interest in or experience with teaching, and the desire to learn new techniques to foster learning in a library setting.
- Graduate degree in political science or global affairs preferred.
- Knowledge of specialized information in all formats used in the field of political science and global affairs.
Archived on: 2018-08-24