Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-11-10
Employer: Rice University
Employer URL: http://www.rice.edu/
Rice University is seeking a skilled and innovative Data and Government Information Librarian to shape an emergent data services program within an evolving government information environment. The position reports to the Head of the Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services.
Responsibilities: Helps to lead the library’s data services, including the discovery, use, and management of locally created and externally available statistical data, and through a range of services, support the library’s membership in the FDLP. He or she conducts individual research support consultations, workshops and instruction sessions, and other programming in both areas of specialization. The position participates in inter-departmental and library-wide committees and work groups established to further various aspects of the Fondren Library mission.
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science and/or a Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a data intensive discipline with significant data experience. One year of experience in a library or research setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of US federal and proprietary data sources
- Demonstrated knowledge of data information literacy competencies
- Experience providing training sessions and consultations in a research or library setting
- Experience building relationships in an academic setting, and/or working with/supporting students and faculty in academic departments via outreach, research assistance, or teaching
- Understanding of issues and trends in the communication and publication of research dataExperience using one or more proprietary or open-source statistical software packages (R, SPSS, Stata, SAS or Python) for data analysis and visualization
- Knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to data management/curation, including format igration, preservation, metadata, data retrieval and use issues
- Demonstrated knowledge of ICPSR and IPUMS
- Experience working with US federal government documents, including print, web and data sources
- Understanding of issues and trends related to the Federal Depository Library Program
Archived on: 2017-11-13