Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-10-02
Employer: NC State University
Employer URL: https://www.ncsu.edu/
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Research Librarian for Engineering & Entrepreneurship in the Research Engagement department. The department engages with faculty members, researchers, and students across the full lifecycle of research and scholarship, offering dynamic services, spaces, and technologies to enable all forms of research, discovery, and learning, and connecting faculty and graduate students with a full suite of resources for research and teaching productivity. The department’s librarians collaborate with faculty and students on emerging technologies for research, visualization, data curation and management, bibliometrics, and computational analysis in an evolving scholarly communication environment. They build programs and partnerships that enhance research productivity and competitiveness, support interdisciplinary collaboration, foster inclusive spaces for early career researchers, and conduct research consultations. The position is based at the James B. Hunt Jr. Library and reports to the Department Head, Research Engagement. Responsibilities
- Serves as liaison to the Colleges of Engineering and Textiles, the Entrepreneurship Initiative, and other affinity STEM departments; plans and delivers innovative, responsive library services to faculty and students in those disciplines.
- Provides expert services for faculty, staff, and students across the research lifecycle including information discovery, data curation, visualization, research computing, and scholarly communication.
- Identifies trends in research practices in engineering, textiles, and entrepreneurship and recommends strategies for aligning library services accordingly.
- Fosters collaboration and interdisciplinary interactions among faculty and other stakeholders by supporting and collaborating with interdisciplinary research teams.
- Provides instruction on research skills and data literacy to students in the sciences and engineering and engages in ongoing development and implementation of innovative pedagogical practices.
- Collaborates with Collections & Research Strategy librarians in collection development and assessment activities.
- In collaboration with research administration at NC State, advises researchers in evaluation of grant opportunities including meeting funder and university requirements for providing public access to publications and data resulting from research.
- Works closely with library colleagues to support research and scholarship by providing consultation on using scholarly resources, technologies, and the NCSU Libraries' technology-rich spaces.
- Participates in library planning; serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
- NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree.
- Academic preparation or relevant work experience in engineering or related discipline.
- Demonstrated success in faculty and student engagement.
- Knowledge of the needs of faculty and researchers across the lifecycle of research, teaching, and learning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively both as a team member and independently.
- Ability to be proactive, flexible, and collaborative, working across multiple locations in an ambiguous, futureoriented
- environment, and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Commitment to fostering a diverse educational and professional environment and demonstration of the ability
- to work with a diverse population.
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution.
- Degree in engineering or related discipline.
- Experience or interest in supporting entrepreneurial business plans through activities such as patent searching and market research.
- Awareness of open research practices and incentives.
- Knowledge of emerging research services trends including data science, visualization, impact metrics, or research computing.
Archived on: 2017-10-03