Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-07-06
Employer: The University of New Mexico College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences
Employer URL: https://ulls.unm.edu/
The University of New Mexico College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences (UL&LS) seeks a Data Curation Librarian. This position reports to the Director of Research Data Services (RDS). This is a full-time, 12-month position with faculty rank and tenure status negotiable based on qualifications and experience. The desired start date is October 1, 2017. The annual salary is negotiable based on qualifications, with full benefits.
The Data Curation Librarian will provide coordinated, full-lifecycle research data curation support to researchers across all main-campus disciplines at UNM. These support services include assisting researchers in locating existing data for use in their research; identifying appropriate software, data storage and computation tools for their research activities; assisting in data management planning and plan development; and delivering data acquisition, processing, analysis, visualization, documentation, sharing, and preservation support services. The faculty member will provide primary support for locally hosted and supplemental support for externally hosted research data collaboration, analysis, and preservation infrastructure. They will also support the integration of research data products and associated metadata into local or domain repositories, both through repository provided web interfaces and automation workflows that leverage available application programming interfaces (APIs). The individual will also develop and provide training and instruction related to all of these support activities.
- Provides research data reference support.
- Provides researcher support in identifying appropriate data management, analysis, visualization, storage and computation tools and technologies for specific research projects.
- Provides support to researchers in data management planning and data management plan development.
- Provides primary support for locally hosted and more limited support for externally hosted data storage, analysis, computation and preservation infrastructure.
- Applies knowledge of data archival practice, data licensing, intellectual property issues, open access and data citation practices in work with researchers to transition research data products and their associated metadata into appropriate repositories.
- Contributes to the development of automation workflows that streamline the bulk management and ingest of research data and metadata into repositories and other storage and sharing platforms.
- Collaborates with Library IT and the Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communications programs in the ongoing management of the Library’s archive system and collections.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of online reference materials developed by the RDS team.
- Develops and provides training and instruction to researchers in all aspects of research data management.
- Collaborates with College staff and faculty, and on- and off-campus partners in providing research data services to UNM researchers.
- Contributes to the development and execution of sponsored research projects in which RDS is a collaborator.
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Contributes to UL&LS initiatives that further UNM’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Participates in UL&LS faculty governance and in library management as required.
- Meets scholarship and service requirements for tenure as detailed in the UNM Faculty Handbook.
- May teach credit course in the UL&LS Organization, Information, and Learning Sciences program
- An earned master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library/information sciences program or equivalent, *or
- a doctoral degree in another discipline that reflects a strong component of research data management and analysis.
- At least three years of direct experience *providing research data services
- within an academic and/or research institution, *or
- at least three years of experience *managing
- diverse research data within an academic or research institution.
- Demonstrated experience in full-lifecycle research data management support: research data reference services; data management planning; consultation for management, computation, analysis, visualization, documentation, and preservation of research data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant documentation standards such as Dublin Core, EML, METS, PREMIS, and ISO 19115.
- Familiarity with principles of data citation, options for data licensing, and intellectual property rights as they relate to research data.
- Familiarity with scripting language(s) (such as Python, XSLT, Perl, R) commonly used in data acquisition, data management, analysis, and preservation workflows – both executed locally and through interaction with remote systems through published APIs .
- Demonstrated experience working with one or more institutional repository or other data preservation platforms.
- Familiarity with processes and strategies for interacting with and use of remote data storage and computational platforms such as cloud-based services (Google cloud, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure) and remote high performance computing systems.
- Demonstrated strategy for and interest in continuous skill development in areas of data management principles and practices, platforms, and technologies.
- Evidence of excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Evidence of excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities
Archived on: 2017-07-10