Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-05-31
Employer: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library
Employer URL: http://library.unc.edu/
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library invites applications for the position of Digital Scholarship Specialist in the Digital Research Services department.
We are seeking a creative and collaborative individual to provide technical support for digital scholarship projects and to guide the selection, enhancement or creation of new tools and workflows to support scholarly research. The successful applicant will serve as the contact point for Digital Humanities efforts for the University Libraries and will maintain communication with the Carolina Digital Humanities Initiative and the Digital Innovation Lab.
Based in the Davis Library Research Hub, the Digital Scholarship Specialist will facilitate the use of Library collections in new ways by supporting researchers with projects such as online exhibits, digital maps, and text mining. The librarians and technology experts in the Davis Library Research Hub work as a team to support scholars with research and teaching. Staff members work collaboratively to meet exciting research challenges, support learning communities, and introduce and support innovative technologies through consultation and instruction. We are seeking a flexible, curious innovator who thrives on learning new technology and solving problems, and is committed to advancing research.
The Digital Scholarship Specialist:
- Works directly with UNC researchers, providing technical consultation and support for digital scholarship projects.
- Builds community by developing relationships with other campus units supporting digital scholarship, including the Carolina Digital Humanities Initiative and the Digital Innovation Lab.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends new and emerging digital research tools and methods for the Libraries and UNC research community.
- Provides assistance using and extending the functionality of digital scholarship applications, and works with others in the Library to help develop scalable, sustainable research solutions.
- Cooperates with the Library and Information Technology department to design and implement workflows, tools, and infrastructure to support digital scholarship.
- Develops services in response to current trends, campus needs, and Library priorities.
- Is committed to providing meaningful contributions to digital scholarship generally, through sharing code, publishing, presenting, or collaborating with scholars from other research institutions.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or a related advanced degree.
- Demonstrated proficiency with digital scholarship tools, such as those used for digital humanities, data visualization, text mining, and mapping.
- Demonstrated aptitude for quickly learning new tools and technologies.
- Experience working effectively with a team to plan and complete projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience supporting digital scholarship in a library or research setting.
- Project management experience.
- Experience teaching technology, either one-on-one or in a classroom setting.
- Proficiency using tools and programming libraries to support text analysis.
- Geospatial technology skills.
- Background working in a large academic library.
Archived on: 2017-06-07