Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-05-25
Employer: The Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) in the Survey Research Center (SRC) at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research
Employer URL: http://iris.isr.umich.edu/
The Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) in the Survey Research Center (SRC) at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research is seeking a Research Support Specialist.
IRIS is a university collaboration that collects, integrates, warehouses, and makes available restricted and publicly available data on the social and economic impact of academic research and training. It is part of the Innovation, Networks, and Knowledge (INK) program at the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan. ISR is the world’s largest academic social science survey and research organization and conducts some of the most widely-cited and influential social science research in the world. Its work is supported through institutional membership dues and research grants.
IRIS ingests member university administrative data related to research awards and student academic data into a highly protected data enclave environment and makes linkages to federal datasets, allowing IRIS to then generate reports demonstrating the career trajectory of research staff, vendor spending, and other measures of impact. In addition, IRIS makes these combined datasets available for research purposes, allowing approved investigators to access de-identified data in a virtual data enclave. See iris.isr.umich.edu for more information.
The Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) is seeking a Research Support Specialist who will primarily be responsible for providing support to researchers accessing IRIS datasets. Major areas of responsibility:
Contribute to efforts to create and maintain a vibrant community of researchers through various means, including but not limited to:
- coordinating the logistics of a researcher grant program,
- developing communication platforms that promote interaction and engagement, monitoring the use of a documentation wiki, and
- assisting in updating documentation and curating/versioning datasets.
- Serving as primary point of contact for researchers, triaging and supporting their requests, maintaining a tracking system and providing monthly reports on number and type of issues.
- Contribute to IRIS research projects by assisting with data linkage work and analysis.
- Assist in developing training materials for researchers.
- Bachelor’s degree in a social science field (such as political science, sociology, or economics), information science, or other relevant field
- 1-3 years' experience in social science research in a higher education setting which can include some combination of the following:
- helping to carry out some aspect of research, such as data collection or data entry/analysis
- participation in dissemination of research findings, such as helping prepare presentations, publications, abstracts, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of data management best practices
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Customer focused, with the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with researchers and external stakeholders
- Detail oriented
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Master’s degree/coursework in a social science field (such as political science, sociology, or economics), information science, or other relevant field
- Experience in assembling/writing data documentation
- Working with restricted or limited access data
- Experience in developing/presenting training materials to a variety of audiences
Archived on: 2017-05-25