Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-04-03
Employer: Council of Professional Associations on Federal Statistics
Employer URL: http://www.copafs.org/
The Executive Director is responsible for achieving the mission and purposes of COPAFS to advance and promote a vital statistical system in the United States. The Executive Director serves as the principal spokesperson for the organization with responsibility for developing, leading, and maintaining strategic relations with the full spectrum of stakeholders in federal statistics and data use. The Executive Director is expected to bring initiative, innovative ideas, and leadership skill to educating and advocating for sound policies and federal support for statistics and data. The Executive Director is also expected to strengthen COPAFS financially as well as enhance its profile in the federal statistical community.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads COPAFS in serving as principal advocate for the critically important work of federal statistical agencies and a scientifically sound and vital federal statistical system.
- Enables COPAFS to address critical issues, budgetary needs, and sound science policies on behalf of the statistical user community to federal statistical agencies and to Congress.
- Advances the role and voice of COPAFS as the go-to organization capable of advancing the health of federal statistics and the objectives of the statistical community to foster statistics and data of the highest quality, accessibility, and usability.
- Ensures that COPAFS continues to strengthen its role and reputation in providing information, education and dialogue within the federal statistical community.
- Develops and pursues opportunities for COPAFS, whether through convening stakeholder meetings, strategically designing quarterly meetings, executing essential projects, holding briefings, or similar activities, to promote awareness of the issues, challenges, and opportunities related to the federal statistical agencies and to federal databases and their use.
- Assumes responsibility for the administrative and financial well-being of COPAFS, including development of the annual budget, routine monitoring and reporting on finances and budget, and overseeing and ensuring filing of tax returns and other financial and legal documents required to maintain COPAFS legal and financial status.
- Develops and implements an ongoing plan to expand the membership base of COPAFS, making certain that users of federal statistics are aware of the benefits of membership in COPAFS as well as the advantages to participation in its activities and programs.
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategies to strengthen and expand COPAFS sources of financial support, including fundraising from institutions and organizations that rely heavily on Federal statistics for their research or programs.
- Ensures that the Board of Directors is kept fully informed on the conditions and operations of COPAFS and issues that may affect its well-being and that of its membership.
- Promotes the active participation by Board members and the membership in the development and execution of COPAFS policy and programs to ensure a common and shared vision and direction for the organization.
Graduate degree commonly found among professionals in the federal statistical user and science leadership communities. Leadership ability a must, as is an understanding of and a passion for the importance of statistics, data, and sound research policies. Familiarity with federal statistical community and programs and products is also essential. Success in engaging others in a common cause highly sought, certainly an instinct or desire to have this responsibility. Innovative and entrepreneurial track record a must, and success in fundraising or development is highly desirable. Success in managing within budget is required as is serving as an organization’s spokesperson with solid instincts and abilities in relationship development and outreach. Strong oral and written communication skills essential. Organizational management and leadership experience highly desirable. (COPAFS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.)
Archived on: 2017-05-22