Posted to IASSIST on: 2017-02-15
Employer: University of Washington
Employer URL: http://www.washington.edu/
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including: the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Forecasting; Costs and Cost Effectiveness; Geospatial Analysis; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Data Indexer on the IHME Data Team. The primary purpose of the position is to oversee the seeking, intake, storage, cataloging, and citation of data sources at IHME, which requires the management of Data Team staff and close cooperation with research teams across IHME. The Senior Data Indexer’s work will significantly contribute to the Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx), IHME’s platform to share and inform about health data, and to the successful completion of various grant-funded research projects by ensuring projects have the necessary data in the appropriate timeframe. The Senior Data Indexer achieves this by management of data indexing staff and by working directly with research teams. The Senior Data Indexer is familiar with different types of files and data, particularly health and demographic datasets; meticulous with file naming and proper metadata; and possesses sufficient Internet and research savvy to identify accurate information from conflicting sources. The Senior Data Indexers report to the Data Services Manager on the IHME Data Team.
- Provide oversight, leadership, and management support for a team of Data Indexers searching for data and metadata and creating content for the GHDx.
- Train new staff in role-appropriate GHDx practices and provide additional training to existing staff as needed.
- Create new records and evaluate and edit existing records in the database for publication, assessing completeness, accuracy, and grammar. Mentor indexers to improve overall cataloging quality.
- Conduct and direct exhaustive research of datasets and health systems, translate research into readable summaries, and provide guidance to others at IHME engaged in these tasks, including faculty, researchers, and data analysts.
- Identify dataset files and metadata records that do not conform to existing rules and resolve the inconsistencies.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of data research projects specific to internal teams; manage conflicting priorities and timelines, and ensure clear priorities for the Data Indexers.
- Interact in a collaborative manner with members of the Data and other teams to accomplish organizational goals.
- Assess GHDx taxonomies and features and proactively provide recommendations for changes and improvements.
- Maintain thorough documentation on file management and cataloguing progress.
- Exemplify and promote proper data management throughout IHME
- Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Management, or (science) Data Management and three to five years of experience.** **
- Previous supervisory experience
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, and flexibility
- Previous indexing or cataloging experience
- Interest in global health and global health research
- Ability to work in a highly structured role that calls for precision and meticulous attention to detail while operating in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong sense of focus and attention to detail
- Familiarity with Drupal or other online content management system
- Online research skills
- Familiarity/comfort with assessing materials in foreign languages
Archived on: 2017-03-15