Posted to IASSIST on: 2016-06-29
Employer: University of Michigan, ICPSR
Employer URL: http://umich.edu/
A unit of the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan, the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is an international membership organization, with over 700 institutions from around the world, providing access to empirical social science data for research and teaching. The atmosphere is collegial with a work environment that fosters communication and networking, incorporates a diverse staff with varying skills and experiences and offers family-friendly flexibility with work hours.
- Prepare social science research data and related materials for
permanent archiving and dissemination by:
- Evaluating data for issues related to respondent confidentiality;
- Communicating with data producers and depositors to resolve issues of incompleteness;
- Using SPSS, SAS and/or Stata to review, clean, recode, and verify research data;
- Compiling and editing research documentation;
- Structuring data and documentation files into ICPSR archival products for release and cataloging via the ICPSR Web site;
- Writing study-level metadata descriptions;
- Preparing data and documentation for use with online data analysis tools.
- Work collaboratively with team members and conduct peer work reviews, as well as work with ICPSR staff in different units of the organization, as needed.
- Provide support to data users by responding to questions about the data collections.
- Bachelor’s degree in a recognized social science field;
- Knowledge of social science research methods and survey design;
- Experience in data management including but not limited to cleaning, recoding, merging and/or subsetting data, and performing descriptive statistical procedures;
- Experience with any of the following programs: SAS, SPSS (PSPP), Stata, R, SQL, Excel
- Must be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing using the English language.
- Experience in archival procedures;
- Experience using Linux to navigate files and run programs
- Experience with Adobe software related to documentation compilation
- Familiarity with text parsing including the ability to read and summarize technical documents and organize information into a category-specific format
- Demonstrated capacity to organize and prioritize assignments, effectively apply oral and written instructions and procedures, and execute tasks with minimal supervision
Archived on: 2016-07-01