Posted to IASSIST on: 2016-03-31
Employer: MIT Libraries
Employer URL: https://libraries.mit.edu/
The MIT Libraries seek an enthusiastic, service-oriented Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to join innovative GIS services team. The GIS Specialist will enjoy supporting a dynamic community working to solve exciting, real-life problems across many different subject areas. Reporting to the Senior GIS Specialist the Specialist works closely with the a small team to provide expertise in the identification and use of data and tools associated with Geographic Information Systems projects both inside and outside the classroom.
** RESPONSIBILITIES **include but are not limited to:
- Providing reference and research consultation through scheduled lab hours and e-mail Help queue
- Developing content and providing training workshops
- Supporting lab operations and software installations and maintenance
- Discovery and documentation of sources for free and open geospatial data
- Participation in Geodata repository data evaluation, metadata creation, data loading and troubleshooting
- Assisting with developing geospatial/GIS projects to enhance access to traditional library collections
The Specialist will also be expected to participate actively in system-wide initiatives and serve on committees and task forces, and to communicate actively with fellow professionals through research, writing or presentations, and/or professional service activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Ecology, Engineering, Computer Science, Remote Sensing or related field
- Two years related work experience or a Master’s degree in a related field.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS
- Interest in learning and using software, systems, and technologies to solve spatial problems and the ability to demonstrate these tools to others
- Familiarity with geospatial data sources to support teaching and research
- Strong data management and data analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver instructional content
- Careful attention to detail and persistent pursuit of accuracy and consistency
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to effectively collaborate and work with others
- Ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience with Python, SQL, ModelBuilder, ArcSDE, Geoserver, OpenLayers, Leaflet, CartoDB or similar tools
- Conversant with current and developing Geospatial technologies.
- Demonstrated capacity to plan, develop, and evaluate future programs and services.
- Knowledgeable about GPS.
Archived on: 2016-04-01