Posted to IASSIST on: 2015-07-08
Employer: University of Birmingham
Employer URL: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk
The Research Data Specialist will join the Research Computing Team in IT Services. The post’s responsibilities focus on advising and supporting research groups to effectively manage their data and make best use of the full range of the Birmingham Environment for Academic Research (BEAR) services. Drawing on a strong technical background, the Research Data Specialist will help to shape and support the underlying data storage and archiving services; safeguarding and appropriately making available the University’s key research data assets.
- Formal education to degree level or equivalent.
- Sound core computing knowledge and skills including networking, security and scripting.
- Sound knowledge of Unix or Linux as well as Windows, and associated software applications.
- Proven ability to support IT users with complex needs, ideally in a Research environment.
- Familiar with the concepts of data management and archive particularly in a research context
- Relevant experience in C&IT, ideally including a period working with advanced Storage and Archiving systems and associated backup would be an advantage
- Familiarity with the technologies used in High Performance Computing would be an advantage
- Good customer relationship management skills, coupled with diplomacy and ability to deal with senior professional and academic staff.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team to deliver services
- A self-motivated learner with a track record of continually updating skills.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good broad knowledge of C&IT, including latest technology industry trends.
- Knowledge of Higher Education, Research and its environment.
- Familiarity with ITIL is desirable
Archived on: 2015-07-07