Posted to IASSIST on: 2014-12-15
Employer: Florida State University
Employer URL: http://fsu.edu/
Florida State University Libraries seeks a collaborative, innovative, and service-oriented Social Sciences Librarian to work in a dynamic academic environment with other library liaisons to develop and provide consultative, instructional, and outreach services to faculty and students in the social sciences. The Social Sciences Librarian will also evaluate, select, and review information resources to support curricula and research and support faculty scholarship and publication. The position provides leadership in the use of government information in all formats. This position is based in the Scholars Commons, a department that works closely with faculty and graduate students and is part of the Libraries’ liaison program.
- Serve as a liaison to the Political Science and Public Administration Departments and to the programs in International Affairs and Area Studies, providing specialized consultations, instruction, and outreach in liaison areas.
- Create research guides, Web pages, or other materials to promote access to information resources, government publications, and data sources.
- Evaluate, select, and review resources that support and enhance current curricula and research needs in consultation with faculty.
- Develop, manage, and revise collection development policies and approval plan profiles for assigned subjects.
- Actively support and participate in the Libraries scholarly communication activities.
- Work collaboratively with the Data Research Librarian to identify data resources and to promote digital scholarship in the social sciences.
- Interpret and ensure compliance with legal requirements of depository libraries; act as the libraries’ depository contact person; maintain required records and prepare reports.
- Provide primary reference service and user assistance for government information and work with other liaisons to incorporate relevant resources into research guides and instructional sessions.
- Participate in general in-person and virtual reference and instructional services.
- Serve on Library and University committees.
- Contribute to state, regional, and national professional organizations and participate in research, publication, and other professional and scholarly activities.
- This position will require some weekend and evening hours
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in library and information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or other relevant master’s degree.
- A degree in a related discipline or 2 years of related professional experience in an academic or research library.
- Expertise in assigned subjects sufficient to assess curricular and research needs, select appropriate materials, and build library services to meet those needs.
- Demonstrated subject knowledge and experience in social sciences, including understanding of issues related to social sciences research, scholarly publishing, and data research.
- Experience working with data sets and knowledge of research practices relating to data.
- Familiarity with federal requirements for open access and open data and of national and international trends in scholarly communication and data management.
- Experience using local, federal, and national government information and publications.
- Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services.
- Creative and analytical thinking skills and good problem solving ability.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively with staff at all levels and with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Flexibility in adapting to changing organizational priorities and technological environments.
- Ability to meet the library’s requirement for scholarship, service, and leadership.
- An advanced degree in the social sciences.
- Education or experience working with government documents.
- Experience building and sustaining library collections in all formats
Archived on: 2014-12-16