Posted to IASSIST on: 2014-05-02
Employer: CIESIN, Columbia University
Employer URL: http://www.ciesin.org/
The Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), a Research Unit of Columbia University located on the Lamont Campus in Palisades, NY is seeking a full-time programmer to participate in the development of web and mobile applications for a range of exciting and globally important projects. CIESIN is an organization that seeks to bridge social and natural science research with immediately relevant applied policy work, and specializes in on-line data and information management. CIESIN engages with a wide range of partners from NASA to NSF, from Google Foundation to the Gates Foundation, from World Bank to the United Nations (UN) and from Universities in Kenya to the Office of the Prime Minister of Haiti.
This programmer position seeks a candidate to work with cutting edge technology in a dynamic environment, collaborating with world class scientists and researchers to develop innovative web and mobile applications, including data visualization and mapping tools which help make relevant data easily accessible for the pressing issues addressed at CIESIN. The candidate will work with teams developing socioeconomic and multi-disciplinary data, bearing on issues such as global natural hazard risks, agriculture/land use, soils, food production, poverty, population, climate and more. The user community includes a range of stakeholders from Government ministers and presidential offices to researchers, local farmers, and non-governmental aid agencies.
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in developing requirements and specifications for web and mobile applications in collaboration with scientists, researchers, GIS analysts, and system developers;
- Attend technical meetings, suggest technical solutions, and present prototypes.
See the job posting on the Columbia University’s website below for full description of the responsibilities and qualifications.
- Experience with applications development in mobile platform
- Experience working with geospatial data technologies and standards such as WMS, WFS, WCS, and WPS
- Experience with at least two of the following technologies is a plus: Spring/Struts, jQuery/Prototype/Dojo, ArcGIS/Python, Geoserver/OpenLayers, Google Maps API, Drupal/PHP, SQL, Oracle/MySQL/Postgres, UNIX, Android/iOS.
Archived on: 2014-05-30