Posted to IASSIST on: 2013-11-12
Employer: Florida State University Libraries
Employer URL: http://www.lib.fsu.edu/
Florida State University Libraries seeks an energetic and innovative librarian to facilitate access to and use of data collections and to provide services to data users, focusing initially on the social sciences. The Data Research Librarian will be responsible for developing and providing consultative, instructional, and outreach services to faculty and students using data and for selecting data resources. This position will work closely with the government documents Librarian, technology staff, and subject librarians to develop a complementary suite of data collections and services.
- Provide specialized consultations, instruction, and outreach to support the use of data resources by faculty and students.
- Identify, locate, select, acquire, and provide access to data resources.
- Create LibGuides, Web pages or other materials to provide information about and access to data sources.
- Market the use of data services to faculty and students.
- Develop professional development opportunities and support program for liaison librarians to enable effective data consultation services.
- Work with liaison librarians to identify and provide access to acquired data sets that serve the university’s research and teaching missions.
- Contribute to the development of research data management services.
- Work collaboratively with technology staff and the Scholarly Communication Librarian to develop a campus-wide program to assist faculty in managing, preserving, and providing access to data.
- Serve as a liaison to Economics, Geography, and Statistics Departments.
- Participate in general in-person and virtual reference and instructional services.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or other relevant master’s degree.
- Experience working with data sets and knowledge of research practices relating to data.
- Experience with using statistical software (SPSS, Stata, SAS).
- Demonstrated subject knowledge and experience in social sciences, including understanding of issues related to social sciences research, scholarly publishing, and data research.
- Familiarity with data management requirements of federal agencies and of national and international trends in data management.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising staff and coordinating workflows.
- Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services.
- Creative and analytical thinking skills and good problem solving ability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a group in a changing environment.
- Ability to meet the library’s requirement for scholarship, service, and leadership.
- Minimum of two years professional experience in an academic or research library.
- Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants.
- Experience developing data management plans.
- A second advanced degree, preferably in a data-oriented social science field.
- Experience with text mining or analysis.
- Experience with institutional or subject repository systems.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
Archived on: 2013-11-30