Posted to IASSIST on: 2013-10-02
Employer: Institute for Social & Economic Research, University of Essex
Employer URL: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod
The Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) wishes to appoint two Senior Research Officers to work primarily on an EU-funded project involving the development and use of EUROMOD. This is the tax-benefit micro-simulation model for the European Union which enables comparative research on the effects of policies and policy reforms that have an impact on income, poverty, inequality and social inclusion. For more information, see http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/research/euromod
A variety of research projects using EUROMOD will be carried out, some commissioned by policy organisations and others funded as academic research and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to initiate as well as contribute to these studies.Duties of the Posts:The post-holders will be expected to(i) become familiar with the methods and data behind EUROMOD,(ii) take responsibility for the development and maintenance of particular countries or other aspects of the model(iii) develop an understanding of the issues to be confronted when carrying out analysis of the effects of policy in different national contexts.The successful applicants will work closely with national experts and the existing team of EUROMOD researchers. They will learn how EUROMOD works and will help to design and implement improvements and additions. They will be expected to contribute to the writing of research papers and to be committed to the publication of research in academic outlets as well as making presentations at national and international conferences. They will also be expected to take active part in other dissemination, outreach and user engagement activities such as supporting the EUROMOD user community and providing briefings on EUROMOD analysis for policymakers.
The post-holders will participate, like all ISER staff members, in various institute-level activities appropriate to their seniority.These duties are a guide to the work that the post holders will be required to undertake. They may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances and do not form part of the contract of employment.Page 3 of 11Terms of Appointment: For a full description of the terms of appointment for these posts please visit: http://www.essex.ac.uk/personnel/CondServ/default.htm
ISER is ISO27001 certified. All ISER employees have a responsibility to adhere to the Institute’s information security policies and procedures.
- A masters or higher degree in a relevant social science or quantitative discipline, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of cross-national comparative quantitative research issues and/or experience in building or using tax-benefit micro simulation models.
- Experience of working with quantitative survey data.
- Experience of using software such as Stata, SAS, or SPSS beyond beginner level, for data management and statistical analysis.
- Good statistical skills
- IT skills and familiarity with Windows-based software
- Good general management skills
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills
- Proven ability to write clearly and concisely
- A commitment to publishing in academic outlets
- Proven ability to produce high quality work within deadlines
- Self-motivation and proven ability to work independently
- An aptitude for team and collaborative working
- A flexible approach and ability to manage a diverse workload and competing priorities
- A good standard of written and spoken English
- Interest in relevant public policy issues
- Ability to meet the requirements of UK ‘right to work’ legislation
- High-level skills in analyzing complex data from household surveys
- A record of academic publication
- Willingness to travel for work-related purposes
Archived on: 2013-10-18