Posted to IASSIST on: 2013-08-08
Employer: Duke University's Social Science Research Institute
Employer URL: http://www.ssri.duke.edu/
The Data and Research Manager will report jointly to the Director of SSRI and the IEHD Associate Director and will be responsible for managing and maintaining a repository of social science data that is accessed by social science researchers within and outside the university; identifying and negotiating requirements for bringing datasets into the repository; and working with researchers to facilitate appropriate data access. Working within a collaborative team environment, s/he will be responsible for implementing data solutions and for determining staffing requirements as data repository demands grow over time.
**Work Performed **
- Provide leadership and expertise for defining data management project requirements, considerations, and effective implementation options; develop and maintain procedures for data storage, documentation, and security; develop data matching protocols; ensure appropriate storage of and access to sensitive data; insure appropriate computational resources are available to analyze large and confidential data; and assist in identifying and acquiring new datasets.
- Work with researchers to determine data storage and analytic capacity needed to house their data in the repository.
- Work with researchers who wish to access data in the repository, such as: assisting researchers with developing applications for access; verifying the feasibility of their requests; and tracking the status of researchers' applications, including required approvals, compliance with data-use agreements, compliance with data security requirements, and IRB approval.
- Conduct and oversee data management tasks including data documentation, cleaning, matching, and de-identifying sensitive data.
- Create a strategic plan for the data repository, particularly as it relates to large and confidential social science data sets; identify, track, and report performance measures; develop annual budgets.
- Take responsibility for keeping informed of advances in data storage, documentation, and protection as well as the computational requirements for analyzing such data; ensure the use of best practices in data management.
- Supervise, participate in hiring, and train staff as assigned.
- Collaborate with researchers and data managers at Duke and other institutions, such as UNC’s Odum Center, RENCI, and the University of Michigan’s ICPSR, to advance data repository methods and capacity.
- Manage internal and external customer expectations.
- Perform related work or other duties as assigned.
Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Graduate degree in applied social-science research or a related field preferred. High Level Skills: SAS, STATA, R, SQL; Useful: SPSS, C, VB.
Experience: Minimum of four years directly related data management experience to include at least two years of administrative, supervisory, or project management experience. Experience with large datasets, sensitive data, and supervisory experience are highly valued.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMPBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Archived on: 2013-09-30