Posted to IASSIST on: 2013-02-20
Employer: Geographic Research, Inc.
Employer URL: http://geographicresearch.com/
Geographic Research, Inc., a leading provider of web-based mapping software, is seeking a Data Manager to organize, document, upload, and process large amounts of data. This involves the creation and management of metadata (variable definitions, data sources, etc), preparing data for upload to our servers, uploading & processing the data, and thoroughly testing the data. The position also involves helping us find and configure new datasets and educate end users about the data.
Our data is geographic in nature (such as census data), and we have to upload and configure each dataset on an annual basis. This position requires knowledge of and experience with census data and other similar government datasets, database management experience, strong SQL skills, and a very high level of attention to detail.
This is a full-time telecommuting position for candidates located in the United States or Canada. This is a great opportunity to have a rewarding career at a growing company while working from home.
- Manage, create and edit metadata (research the data source and/or definition of each variable)
- Prepare data, upload data to our servers, process and configure the data so that it works with our application
- Thoroughly test the data to make sure that it is accurate and error-free
- Create scripts to automate data testing
- Search for and process new datasets
- Create internal documentation
- Create educational materials and documentation to help users understand and use the data
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Census Data and/or other large government datasets
- Expert SQL and data manipulation skills (joining tables, calculating fields in tables, writing complex sql queries, etc)
- Scripting experience
- UNIX/Linux experience
- Strong understanding of relational databases and database design
- Strong Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel skills
- Excellent computer skills, and the ability to quickly learn new software programs
- Strong research skills
- Must work well independently and take initiative
- Extremely high level of attention to detail
Bonus Skills and Experience:
- Mapping/GIS experience
- PostgreSQL database experience
- Hadoop data processing experience (MapReduce, Hive, Pig)
- PHP programming experience
- Data analysis or statistical analysis experience
Archived on: 2013-03-31