Posted to IASSIST on: 2013-02-01
Employer: CODATA (Committee on Data for Science and Technology)
Employer URL: http://www.codata.org/
- (www.codata.org), founded in 1966, is a non-governmental organization that strengthens international science for the benefit of society by promoting improved scientific and technical (S&T) data management and use***.**
- CODATA, formally known as the Committee on Data for Science and Technology, is an interdisciplinary committee of the International Council for Science (ICSU).
To accomplish its mission, *CODATA
- facilitates, mobilizes and engages the knowledge and resources of the international S&T Data community represented by more than 20 national members, 16 International Scientific Unions, 3 co-opted organizations, 20 supporting organizations, and newly established categories of Affiliate and At-Large members. *CODATA
- has a central Secretariat in Paris, co-located with the ICSU Secretariat.
The work of *CODATA
- is performed through a series of democratically elected Task Groups and Working Groups, often in partnership with other organizations. *CODATA
- sponsors an International S&T Data Conference, held in different countries every two years, as well as many workshops and specialized symposia.
- is governed by its General Assembly, which meets every two years. Responsibility for ongoing leadership and management is vested with CODATA’s Officers and the Executive Committee, elected by the General Assembly. The Executive Director reports to the elected Officers and has overall responsibility for implementing the strategic goals and plans of the organization, managing the Secretariat, and overseeing the day-to-day operations of CODATA.
In this capacity, the successful Executive Director candidate will be expected to:
- Act to achieve CODATA’s mission, strategy and plans, and contribute to their formulation and development;
- Work with and seek synergy and harmony among all components of CODATA’s membership;
- Ensure effective collaboration and coordination between CODATA and ICSU as well as other partners and coordinate fundraising in support of CODATA’s programs;
- Serve as CODATA’s primary focal point for all administrative matters and support the *CODATA
- Officers and Executive Board in their designated roles, as set out in the CODATA Constitution; and
- Manage the *CODATA
- Secretariat and its staff and oversee numerous meetings around the world
Normal 0 false false false EN-CA X-NONE X-NONE
is seeking candidates who:
Have an advanced degree, preferably in the natural or social sciences, the information or data sciences, management, or law;
Have at least five (5) years of experience in international collaboration and management of scientific or data programs, preferably with specific experience in relevant intergovernmental, nongovernmental, and/or governmental activities;
Have demonstrated skills in leadership and communications, as well as strategic, financial and human resources management experience;
Have proven ability to organize international meetings of 100-1000 people, including both program and meeting logistics;
Are experienced with and prepared to take advantage of modern technology to conduct virtual meetings and use social media effectively;
Are willing to travel around the world on a regular basis to represent CODATA and support CODATA activities; and
Possess full command of written and spoken English, preferably with working knowledge of French and ability in other languages.
As the S&T data world faces virtually unlimited opportunities presented by the Information Revolution, CODATA welcomes applications from candidates who are presently active in S&T data activities.
Archived on: 2013-02-28