Posted to IASSIST on: 2012-07-13
Employer: University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries
Employer URL: http://www.lib.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries is currently seeking a reference librarian with the education and experience to work with the University’s Department of Economics as a member of the Rush Rhees Library Reference department.
Reporting to the Head of the Reference Department, the person in this position will serve as the library liaison to the Economics Department, providing research services to students, faculty, and staff, as well as library education and course-related instruction.
The Economics and Data Librarian will work collaboratively on a team of social sciences and humanities librarians and staff to provide service at the reference desk and through chat, email, and in-person research consultations. Additionally, the successful candidate will serve as a resource for the library, department, and campus on issues related to numeric and social sciences data, including but not limited to: representing the Libraries as the Official Representative to the Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR); identifying and purchasing data resources for the library collection; advising on locating, using, and managing data resources; collaborating with the Libraries' Data Management working group; and assisting with the collection and analysis of in-house departmental data for planning and decision-making.
- Serve as a liaison to faculty and students in the Department of Economics
- Develops and manages the library’s collection of materials for the study of economics
- Coordinates the selection of social science data resources for the library collection
- Works collaboratively within the department to provide general and specialized reference services, including rotating evening and weekend hours
- Develops instructional materials, subject guides, and provides course-integrated bibliographic instruction
- Provides guidance and assistance to staff, students, and faculty on issues related to locating, acquiring, managing, and analyzing social sciences and numeric data
- Serves as the Official Representative to the ICPSR
- ALA-accredited MLS or ALA-recognized foreign equivalent
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Economics, or related applied social or management science discipline
- Public service experience in an academic library, including reference, instruction, or collection development
- Demonstrated experience working with statistical datasets, and the ability to effectively communicate with faculty, students, and staff about textual, numeric, and spatial data resources.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications, and interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent technical aptitude with computer applications such as MS Excel and MS Access.
- Advanced degree in Economics
- Familiarity with scholarly communications issues (e.g. publishing, copyright, repositories, data management)
- Experience with one or more of the following quantitative or qualitative software packages for statistical analysis: Stata, SPSS, SAS, NVivo, ATLAS.ti, or ArcGIS.
Archived on: 2012-08-31