Posted to IASSIST on: 2012-07-12
Employer: Carleton University Library
Employer URL: http://www.library.carleton.ca
The Library at Carleton University invites applications from qualified candidates for the position of Head of MADGIC. This is a preliminary (tenure track) appointment at the rank of librarian 3 or 4. The term of office for a Library Department Head shall normally be five (5) years; Renewal is possible within the terms of the collective agreement.
Under the general direction of the Associate University Librarian (Research, Scholarship and Technology), the incumbent is responsible for co-ordination and management of all operations and staff of MADGIC; for establishing the goals, priorities and procedures for the department; for ensuring effective provision of research and user services with an emphasis on use of information technology to deliver services. The incumbent works in close collaboration with Department Heads, administrative and academic departments to develop such services; assists in representing the Library to individuals and groups on and off campus; and performs other related duties. The incumbent is also responsible for providing general reference and instruction for maps, geospatial, data and government information resources, and manages an assigned area of the Government Documents collection in relation to collection development, cataloguing and reference specialization.
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree plus a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited library school or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible library experience, preferably in an academic setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of library policies and operations, especially as they relate to the management of a specialized collection of social sciences data, government publications, cartographic and geospatial materials, to the supporting processes for acquisition and description of these primary resources, and to the services and structures for their use.
- Thorough knowledge of University teaching and research programs in terms of collection development, research support and instruction needs at Carleton University.
- Knowledge of current trends in the production, dissemination and preservation of governmentinformation, cartographic resources and data.
- Knowledge of current trends in academic library instruction, reference work and research support.
- Demonstrated interest in innovative use of technologies for provision of research support services.
- Ability to engage effectively in analysis, planning, and goal setting; demonstrated flexibility and innovative approaches to problem solving
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others to promote positive organizational change
- Strong leadership and team-building skills in order to manage, motivate, and develop the staff of a major library department in an effective, productive, and positive manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Archived on: 2012-07-31