Posted to IASSIST on: 2012-05-23
Employer: New York University – Abu Dhabi
Employer URL: http://nyuad.nyu.edu/
New York University in Abu Dhabi seeks an energetic, creative, and knowledgeable librarian to select, acquire, manage, and deliver numeric data collections to support campus research and scholarship. The incumbent in this new position will work closely with NYU librarians in Abu Dhabi and in New York as well as technologists, faculty, and students to develop a new Data Service Studio in Abu Dhabi. Beginning at the University’s temporary site in downtown Abu Dhabi, the facility will move and expand in 2014 with the move to a permanent new campus. Working in downtown Abu Dhabi, a beautiful modern city on the shores of the Arabian Gulf, the incumbent contributes to providing information and research assistance to the gifted faculty and student body of NYU in Abu Dhabi, often called the “world’s honors college.”
Reporting to the Associate Director for Academic Technology, the librarian will build data collections and facilitate access to additional data resources; engage in outreach to faculty and students through subject and departmental liaison activities; design and conduct data literacy instruction; participate in reference and consultation activities as a part of the NYU-Abu Dhabi Library team; provide and develop innovative services in support of research, teaching, and learning; and teach research strategies in a variety of contexts.
The incumbent will participate in committees, activities, and special projects, especially those involving new technologies and data, and develop and maintain awareness of data-centered initiatives across the sciences and social sciences through professional development activities.
The work location is the Abu Dhabi campus downtown location, interim to the completion of the permanent campus on Saadiyat Island. Living and working in the United Arab Emirates presents an exciting and excellent professional environment, coupled with an abundance of cultural, educational, recreational and travel opportunities.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent
- Knowledge of public and proprietary resources for national and international numeric and geospatial data
- Ability to develop and deliver formal instruction, workshops and one-on-one consultation sessions
- Knowledge of trends in data management and description
- Working knowledge of software for statistical and geospatial analysis (e.g. SAS, SPSS, Stata, R, GIS applications)
- Academic background or significant experience with a discipline relevant to the social sciences such as Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, or Sociology
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a complex organization
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent English-language communication skills
- Ability to establish positive long-distance working relationships with NYU Libraries in New York and to work collegially within a small, highly collaborative local unit
- Demonstrated history of flexibility, creativity, and strong customer service commitment
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline
Archived on: 2012-06-22