Posted to IASSIST on: 2009-12-17
Employer: Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research (CISER)
Employer URL: http://ciser.cornell.edu
The Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research (CISER) seeks an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented professional to build an exemplary university-based environment for social science research data management. CISER has strengths in computational infrastructure, secure data storage, and a robust restricted data and sharing environment and a data archive that dates to 1981. The successful applicant will spearhead efforts to develop infrastructure supporting the data lifecycle, enhanced access and discovery tools, and data preservation.
Cornell social scientists are on the cutting edge of interdisciplinary research questions using complex data resources. Growing recognition of the value of data management and preservation practices affords CISER and its Cornell partners with opportunities to support a lifecycle approach to data management. The individual in this position will play a key role in anticipating, developing, and implementing services to support this activity. She or he will bring a social science perspective to bear on existing research data investments supported by the Cornell University Library; for example, DataStar [datastar.mannlib.cornell.edu] and DISCOVER [arecibo.tc.cornell.edu/DRSG/]
- Experience with metadata practices and standards such as DDI, OAI-PMH, MODS, METS, PREMIS, FGDC or MARC.
- Demonstrated interest in cutting-edge web-based technologies for augmentation, presentation, or manipulation of research data; an enthusiasm to promote use of such tools to empower Cornell social scientists.
- Knowledge and experience with social science statistical software such as SAS, Stata, SPSS, or R.
- Experience working with large social science datasets and familiarity with major data resources such as ICPSR and the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of qualitative data analysis software such as Atlas.ti.
- Knowledge or experience of GIS data and software, such as ArcGIS.
- Experience teaching workshops of a technical nature.
- Supervisory experience.
Archived on: 2009-12-30