Posted to IASSIST on: 2008-06-25
Employer: Columbia University Information Technology group
Employer URL: http://www.columbia.edu/cuit/
Columbia University Information Technology group (CUIT) is looking for a candidate with Social Science research experience to join its Research, Teaching and Learning team. The newly expanded Research Computing area of this group supports the IT component of research computing at the University.
CUIT works in collaboration with the Columbia University Libraries to manage the Digital Social Science Center (DSSC) which includes the Electronic Data Service (EDS). The DSSC runs high-end computer laboratories staffed with technical and research specialists in the Social Sciences.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Providing assistance to faculty, researchers, and students in managing and manipulating social science, geospatial and other numerical data for research and teaching
- Providing expertise and guidance for student consultants
- Liaising between CUIT and the Libraries to maintain a state-of-the-art level of technology at the DSSC and at EDS.
- Maintaining an expertise in current popular applications that support numerical analysis
- Working with Research Computing team in developing a campus-wide research computing strategy including developing scalable services across disciplines
- Working collaboratively with other IT and Library service units
Working under minimal direction of the Senior Director of Research, Teaching and Learning, the incumbent will be expected to take ownership of any given assignment and to provide oversight through the task’s life cycle.
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant:
- Bachelors’s degree and/or equivalent, and
- 3+ years relevant work experience.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant:
- Experience using large-scale social science data for Social Science research, data analysis, and methodology.
- Research experience with Stata.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strongly Preferred: Master’s degree in Social Science.
- Experience with statistical packages (SAS, SPSS, R)
- Experience in IT service delivery in a complex higher education environment
Archived on: 2008-08-25