Posted to IASSIST on: 2008-04-22
Employer: New York University
Employer URL: http://www.nyu.edu/
(ITS) at New York University has an opening for a Faculty Technology Specialist (Statistical Research) in the ITS Statistical Lab and Data Services. The lab is a unit within New York University’s Faculty Technology Services. The lab is the university’s statistical information center for research and quantitative analysis providing in-depth consulting for statistical software, quantitative methods, Social Science data resources, geospatial resources and analysis, and technical developments relevant to research computing, including emerging data curation services. Lab staff will participate in new collaborations with NYU’s division of libraries, including digital library and repository service development related to scholarly communication and research.
- Consult with and provide guidance to faculty at all stages of the research process on discipline-related needs including statistics, geospatial analysis and data management.
- Provide statistical and technical support to users of the statistical laboratory teaching and research facilities.
- Assist users in managing, analyzing, and producing teaching and research projects with statistical and/or geospatial data.
- Develop online documentation and training materials relevant to statistics and data management.
- Help manage workshops and consulting services for faculty, students, and data center consultants.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and feedback to student consultants.
- Work collaboratively with other IT and library service units (Faculty Technology Services and the Business and Documents Reference Center).
Education and Experience
- BA/BS or MA degree in statistics, social sciences, information science or related fields and two years of experience in an academic teaching, research, or user services environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with advanced statistics methodology and related software (SPSS, SAS, STATA, R, GIS applications)
- Firm understanding of technical applications in statistical research and instruction.
- Preferred: ABD or Master’s degree; statistical consulting experience and/or quantitative teaching in a social science field; knowledge of and experience with GIS, databases and data management; experience managing websites relating to statistics, data resources, geospatial and/or social science computing.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Preferred: Experience with HTML/XML, UNIX, network protocols, Perl, PHP, and Java programming.
Archived on: 2008-07-04