Posted to IASSIST on: 2006-10-27
Employer: Emory University Libraries
Employer URL: http://web.library.emory.edu/
The Emory University Libraries invites applications for a new geospatial data librarian to provide GIS (geographic information systems) services to the Emory community. The successful candidate will have experience with geographic data in both digital and print form. The new librarian will have the opportunity to establish centralized GIS services. He/she will be part of the Electronic Data Center and will collaborate with subject librarians, the librarys Digital Programs and Systems division, and the universitys Academic and Administrative Information Technologies division. The librarian will interact extensively with faculty and students across the university, e.g. the School of Public Health, the Office of University and Community Partnerships, and departments such as Environmental Studies, Sociology, and Political Science. While the focus of this position will be primarily on geospatial data, the librarian will also serve as a resource for a small print map collection, provide some assistance to users in need of quantitative data, and participate in other work of the center.
Responsibilities: In providing service to Emory faculty and students (graduate and undergraduate), the new geospatial data librarian will:
- Identify, access, and manage geospatial data sources and attribute data for both academic and applied research, and for instruction needs;
- Build the librarys collection of geospatial data holdings and related attribute data as well as identify and acquire maps needed for teaching and research;
- Provide instruction sessions, including overviews of GIS resources available at the library; conduct specialized workshops on particular topics in using GIS software (e.g. geocoding, working with coordinate systems etc.);
- Promote the integration of GIS and maps into teaching and research;
- Develop web applications for searching and/or distribution of geospatial data in consultation with the librarys Digital Programs and Systems Division;
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of library and university projects that involve use of geospatial data; and,
- Assist the coordinator of the Electronic Data Center in providing service to users in need of quantitative data and participate in other work of the center.
Required: Advanced degree in either library/information science or a relevant subject field; relevant work experience in an academic or research institution. Knowledge of public and proprietary resources for national and international geospatial data; advanced skills in management and analysis of geospatial data; advanced knowledge of ESRIs desktop GIS software (i.e., ArcGIS/ArcView); and, knowledge of relevant metadata standards (e.g. FGDC, DDI) for geospatial data. Demonstrated interest in participating in professional activities.
Preferred: Knowledge of Arc-IMS or other applications for web-based GIS services; basic familiarity with ArcINFO; and basic familiarity with software for statistical analysis (e.g. SAS, SPSS, and/or Stata). Experience with other desktop GIS programs (e.g. Maptitude); experience working with quantitative data sources of use for the social sciences; and experience working with print map collections.
Archived on: 2006-12-27