Posted to IASSIST on: 2005-05-06
Employer: Yale University
Employer URL: http://www.yale.edu/
Under the direction of the Manager of the Social Science Statistical Laboratory (StatLab), and with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, provide statistical and data management consulting, user support, and training in relative applications and tools to faculty and students. Maintain and develop web based content providing extensive user support documentation. Provide expertise and technical support for data intensive research projects and statistical and/or geospatial data applications.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Provide statistical consultation and technical support to users of the StatLab teaching and research facilities and resources.
- Assist users of statistical and/or geospatial data in managing, accessing, analyzing, and producing results for teaching and research projects.
- Develop online documentation and training materials; help manage workshops and consulting services for faculty, students and StatLab consultants.
- Provide expertise, guidance and feedback to student consultants.
- Oversee StatLab operations in the absence of the StatLab Manager.
- Working with AM&T Research Services and working as part of a research support team, consult with and provide guidance and services to faculty who have specialized discipline related computing needs requiring statistical, geospatial, and database management skills.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, information science, or related fields and two years experience in an academic teaching, research, or user services environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with statistical and/or geospatial analysis, methodology and related software.
- Strong understanding of technical applications in statistical research and teaching.
- Preferred: Master’s degree; teaching applications in the social sciences; experience providing consulting services and/or teaching applications in the social sciences; experience writing content for websites relating to statistical software, data resources, geospatial and/or social science research or teaching.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience with statistical analysis software. Enthusiasm for and ability to develop and produce help documentation for social science research and instruction.
- Service-minded, self-motivated and able to work in a team environment with faculty, ITS/AM&T professional staff and students.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of databases (i.e. Access, MySQL, Postgres) and data management.
Archived on: 2005-12-31